Business casual attire is a dress code that blends the traditional business wear with a more relaxed style but still professional and appropriate for a business meeting or office environment.
The business casual dress code is less formal than the usual business wear but requires tidy, pressed, and appropriate clothes for the type of work you do that show class and elegance.
Where to wear business casual attire
- Working from home
- Virtual meetings
- Attending an interview when you don’t know the company’s dress code.
- Casual Fridays at the office.
- Conferences, events, business after-hours meetings.
What to wear
- Tailored pants, wide-leg dressy pants, slacks
- Skirts and dresses with knee-length or longer
- Blouses, polo shirts, cardigans, sweaters
- Jackets, blazers, vests
- Heeled or flats dressy shoes with a closed toe like loafers or pumps
- Professional accessories: scarves, belts.
- Jewelry: statement necklaces, cuff bracelets, cuff-style band watch.
- Avoid wearing sneakers, flip-flops, t-shirts, jeans, cropped pants, shorts, bright colors, bold prints.
How to wear business casual attire
Three ways to wear business separates
- Pair dressy pants with an extra fine-fitted sweater and nude pumps.
- Style A-line skirt with knitted top and a blazer.
- Wear the combo dress and blazer paired with pumps or dressy flats.
Pair high-rise pants with a silk blouse to express a classic style with a trendy vibe.
Wear it over a sleeveless or turtleneck top with a pair of straight-leg pants or an A-line skirt.
- Wear wide-legged long pants paired with a silk blouse and sleek shoes.
- Add a pop of color with a contrasting bag to bring your personality alive.
Do not confuse business casual with smart casual
- Business casual is the dress code for the office, while smart casual is for any other occasion outside the office.
- Business casual is more formal than casual smart, but both require class and elegance.
The rule of thumb
- The business casual dress attire tends toward a conservative style that blends elements of formal attire with a relaxed style.
- Smart casual is more fashion-forward, mixing classic items with trendy ones.