As the fall season is fast approaching, you may consider a t-shirt as the layering piece to add a modern aesthetic to your look.
A t-shirt is the staple piece for casual, low-key wear from the gym to the beach and street style. But lately, it has become the key piece for layering tailored garments like a suit or blazer.
Master the art of layering a t-shirt like a stylist with a few tricks and styling tips.
Find the perfect fit
- Choose a classic cut with well-fitted shoulders and seams that line up with the ends of your shoulders. So it’s not too tight around your chest and waist.
- The length of the tee should be long enough without exposing your midsection when raising your hands.
- A well-fitted t-shirt should drape over your chest and follow the line of your torso.
Choose high-quality fabric
- The higher the fabric quality, the longer will last and hold the color and shape of the t-shirt.
- Look for soft, breathable, and less likely to wrinkle materials such as linen blends, merino, jersey, and stretchy fabric like lycra or spandex.
- Do not choose synthetic fabric except for sporty activities.
- Do not choose an ultrathin or lightweight fabric because it may look like an undershirt instead of a t-shirt garment.
Pay attention to the neckline.
- A double-stitched neckline, especially if it’s white, makes the t-shirt look higher quality.
- Crewnecks flatter almost all body types and are the best choice for women with a thinner frame.
- V-necks give the illusion of height and balance a short torso or neck.
- Stay away from t-shirts with logos or graphics and choose solid colors like grey, navy, black, or white.
5 ways to dress up and layer a t-shirt
Wear it with a colorful bottom
- Wear the basic tee with playful print pants or skirts, and try the full tuck for a streamlined silhouette.
- Dress up with a blazer and pointed pumps.
- Dress up a tee with forever classic tailored pieces.
- Choose a white crisp crewneck t-shirt and tuck it into pants or a skirt.
- Chinch a belt around the waist to add texture and personal touch.
- Layer long sleeves under a slightly oversized t-shirt, play with textures and patterns, and add colors with accessories.
Update the classic
- Update the classic jeans and tee combo with a smart blazer.
- Bring a distinctive allure layering a crewneck tee under a v-neck vest for an interesting neckline.
- A suit and a t-shirt is the modern approach to business attire.
- Keep your look cohesive and polished by tucking in the t-shirt and a splash of color with a bright handbag.